Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday, April 29, 2013 -- AZ Really is Hotter than Hell!!


It's finally about to break a 100 here today in sunny Arizona. It's been quite interesting, a challenge, with being on a bike and having appointments when it's so hot. I just feel bad for those we meet! When we go to dinner we have to immediately go dab off our faces and try to cool down. I can't wait until it's 120! :]

I loved the videos of Leo! He's gotten so big in just a couple of weeks! I can't believe how green it is! I had forgotten what actual green grass looks like along with real trees. The grass looked unreal. Everyone here has the fake grass and rocks. A lot of people don't even bother with trying to have grass so they just have rocks for a yard. 

This week we had a lesson with Yaquelin (who's been investigating the church for over a year now). We read 2 Nephi 31:4-11 and invited her to be baptized. She wants to be baptized, but she is not living the Law of Chastity. Her boyfriend, Paco, doesn't want to get married because he's been divorced 3 times. He's 15 years older than her and she will only have children if she's married. And she wants children and to be married. It's sad that he's holding her back. We also read 1 Nephi 3:7. We talked about having faith that the Lord will provide because "He gives no commandment saves He provides a way to accomplish that thing that He has command." The lesson was powerful and the spirit was present. She needs the blessings that the gospel can provide! We hope we can help her progress and we have another lesson tomorrow with her.

The spanish family that we gave the Elders are totally prepared and we're so excited for them!! We might be teaching the daughter because she said she understands English better. We'll have to see! We're excited if we do get to start teaching her! The Elders are teaching both her parents and grandparents! You have no idea how much I wish I could speak Spanish right now!!! It's okay, it's all the same work. But we'll find a family soon :] 

This week we've done a lot of knocking doors trying to contact people who have talked with the missionaries before. We knocked on one door and the mom answered and said to come back after 7 any day next week! So we're going back tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be able to start teaching that family! Also we decided to go tracking because we had 30 minutes before dinner and we had already contacted everyone in our plans for that day. We tracked into this nice Catholic man. He had a lot of questions, but was really trying to convert us. It's always interesting when people try to convert us. We just nod when they say something we agree with and smile. 

There's a lady in one of our wards who has Alzheimer's. She has just come back to church the last couple of months. She was very against the church, but after she got Alzheimer's she forgot why she had hated the church! Isn't that something? She now goes to church every week and loves it! She feels the spirit which is the most important thing. We have started teaching her the lessons because she really doesn't know anything about the church. She had been inactive since she was a teenager. We're teaching her the second lesson this Thursday. When taught about the First Vision, she just started crying. She has such a sweet spirit about her. One of the ward missionaries, who was her visiting teacher for years and couldn't get in, had the lesson at her house. Also her ancestors are from Sweden also! So we had a great conversation about Sweden and all of the traditions. She had a dolahest! Brought back memories of all of our traditions  especially around Christmas! 

I can't believe that I have less than a year left and I've only been out for 5 months out in the field. Time has just been flying by. The days are long and the weeks are short. I love being a missionary! I forget that this is not "real life". It feels like I've been a missionary my whole life. I love being immersed in the gospel every single day all day long. I wish everyone could go on a mission and I'm excited that more are going on missions because of the age change. Yesterday we were able to be at the opening of a guy's mission call in one of our wards. He's going to Chili! When he opened his call, all of the memories of when I opened my call came rushing back. I for the chills. The spirit was so strong while he read his call. There was about 150 people there! Crazy!!!

I have been studying the Christlike Attributes in Preach My Gospel. I've been studying virtue and patience. What has really stood out to me is that without Faith you really can't develop the other Christlike Attributes. Faith is the first principle of the gospel. Without faith we really are nothing. When we have faith we can do all things. I love this promise that the Lord gives us that when we ask Him in Faith we will receive answers. I've really been contemplating this concept this week. I've been reading the Book of Mormon, the New Testament, and Doctrine and Covenants every day. I love reading Doctrine and Covenants as a missionary because it's all about missionaries and missionary work!!! It applies so literally. I especially love section 8 and 9 which I read today. 
I've decided that my anthem for my mission is Mosiah 28:3. This is truly how I feel! 

Thank your for your continued support, prayers, letters, and love!!! I pray about you everyday!

Love,
Sister Collins 


Sis. Holcomb and Sis. Collins


Zone Conference


The Two Sistas!