Friday, March 1, 2013

Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday, February 25, 2013

Good news! I'm still in my area. My new companion is Sister Allred, from Colorado. She's been out for 13 months. It's been an interesting week. I do miss Sister Farthing. It's weird not having her around.

Also, I don't know if you'd read the church news, but there are 58 new missions! There's now a Chicago West? The Tempe and Mesa missions are being split. There's now a Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, and Gilbert Missions. On July 1st is when there are going to be all new mission presidents and when the new missions will be into effect. We could be reassigned into any of these new missions. We won't find out until the transfer right before July 1st. It's going to be interesting to see which mission I'll be in and it will be weird to have another Mission President. The work is definitely hastening. We just receieved the frist 18 year-olds this past transfer and our first under 21 year-olds (they're 20). There are now going to be a lot more sisters coming in next transfer. I think there are 5 english sisters and 2 spanish coming in. Exciting!
Also this week we received some bad news. One of the Elders in our mission has been sick for 5 months and just found out last Monday he had cancer. He went home on Tuesday and yesterday we had a mission fast for him. Apparently there is a 95% chance of him living, which is a blessing! We didn't know this when we found out on Wednesday (at transfers- President had us all come to the meeting regardless if we were being transfered) the chances were really high for him living. He might be coming back out after he goes through kemo. It was really bad news and now it's a little better.

Having transfers made missionary work kind of slow this week. I was teaching Sister Allred the area and planning each night for the next day and weekly planning takes forever when we both don't know what's going on. I guess since I stayed, I "took over the area." It's a big responsibility to do this! I'm learning of how much I really don't know! It's quite humbling and has been challenging, but it's bene a great learning and growing experience. We have been going through the Area Book and going through all of our potentials trying to teach more people.
We finally were able to teach Diahann (who we met at the park 2 weeks ago). It was a great lesson and we brought a neighbor of hers and they instantly connected, so it was neat to see the Lord's hands in things. We chose the neighbor because she lived close and hoped they would get along and connect. They ended up having simular experiences and living situations and the fellowship was able to connect in a way we as missionaries can't. That's why I love having the right fellowships at lessons who help the work go forward rather than detract the work. I'm really understanding how much members and missionaries need to work together and what an impact it is to have both. As missionaries we can't do it alone. We're going to teach her later this week.

Also we couldn't meet with Michael this past week because he was sick. We did have a phone lesson with him (read him a scripture, discussed it, then prayed). He is slowly progressing and this week will tell how much he is really interested. Alex is going to be baptized this Saturday! We're excited for him and how much he really wants to join the church when he doesn't have the strongest support system at home. We know he will help bring his family back to church.
Exciting things are happening here in the mission! I heard Chicago just got dumped on with snow. People here love to tell me the weather back east. Thank you Dad for your words of wisdom regarding member missionary work. I really loved the question you posed because one of the struggles I've been having is to have inspired quesitons. I had never really focused on having inspired questions before my mission and now it makes all of the difference. Questions are so important during lessons.

Love you all! Can't wait to hear how things are going. 

Love,

Sister Collins