Monday, April 7, 2014

The Saga Continues - Monday, April 7, 2014

You'll never guess what happened this week. A new sister came into our mission mid-transfer from the SLC Visitor's Center and went with Sister Anderson. So I have a new companion! Her name is Sister Gardner and she's on a trial mission from here in the Valley and going on her mission to Washington. Also I have no area, well actually the entire mission is my area- I'm fully a traveling STL and I'm training all of the sisters and going on exchanges with all of them for the last 3 weeks of my mission. I'm training Sister Gardner and we're together so I can be very flexible and drive across the mission to where I need to go. It's been an interesting adjustment and I spent the majority of my time in the Office getting my training together. Then I'd go out at night and do some proselyting with some of the sisters. Let's just say the mission is full of surprises! it's funny how everything works out how it's supposed to because in the beginning of the transfer President gave me this assignment, but he really didn't know how I was going to do it. Now since we have an even number of sisters in the mission, it's allowed me to be very flexible. I'm happy to take this assignment and do what the Lord wants me to do.

On Tuesday when I was still with Sister Anderson in my old area we found a new investigator in the YSA ward. His name is Tim and he's actually roommates with our other investigator, Kyle. Tim is very interested and we think we were led to Kyle for Tim. I can't wait to hear how's they're all doing. Also on Monday when we visited one of our investigator's in the Spanish Branch, Ester, her husband Ramon joined us and said he would like to take the lessons also. Another new investigator! They're such a cute couple and Ester has been taking the lessons since 2008. She said this time she would read the Book of Mormon, which she's never done. Also on Monday night we stopped by the YSA's FHE and it happened to be a date night. Awkward. The girls had brought dinner for two and then the boys had brought dessert. What gets even better though was when we showed up during the middle of it to see if Kyle was there, the Bishopric came up to us and said, "Too bad you're missionaries because we could really use you tonight. There's more boys then girls!" Since when has that ever happened in a Singles Ward? lol Needless to say, we did not join them and we quickly left before any of them could get any ideas. Oh, the life we live. We also taught one of our investigators, Javier on Tuesday. His lesson went a lot better than last week's and the sisters had a lesson with him on Thursday set up again to help him feel comfortable to pray. He has a lot of concerns and I hope we can help him resolve them and that his heart will continue to be softened.

Also this past Wednesday when I was still living with Sister Anderson, during companionship study, I looked out the window and there was a SWAT team outside in our apartment complex. This is the ghetto of Gilbert, seriously. There was 9, undercover vehicles that one minute they were all standing around outside and the next they were gone. It was like we were in a movie. We still have no idea why they were there, but it was entertaining to watch them.

I am so glad I was able to watch General Conference! What a blessing it is to be able to hear from our modern-day prophet. I loved each of the talks and the sessions just seem to fly by. I received a lot of personal revelation for myself and those I'm serving. I especially enjoyed Elder Holland's talk on the Saturday morning session. I don't think I've ever seen Elder Holland open up conference. He set the tone for the rest of the sessions. I do believe we need to stand tall and defend our faith with love. Poor Sister missionary who had that type of abuse. Here in Arizona it's more of the verbal abuse than physical. This conference I felt like each talk was for me. I know they are inspired men and women who listen to the quiet whisperings of the Holy Ghost and say what we all need to hear. I know Heavenly Father loves each one of us and we must show our love for Him by keeping His commandments and having charity for all of those around us.

We'll see what this next week brings!
 
Love, 

Sister Collins


Any letters or packages send to the mission office her last 3 weeks:

1001 N. Burk Street
Gilbert, AZ  85234